Friday 30 September 2011

Portland Quilt

This is called my Portland quilt because I bought the fabrics while I was holidaying in Portland, Oregon. I was trying to freshen up my stash and rather than hoarding  decided to break some out and use them for Marion's stack and slash workshop. This required 6 FQ's to make six blocks but as I had half yards I used double and made the border from the fabric I had a yard of. In setting out the blocks the orange spots were my deciding factor arranging as much as I could around the edge. I used Quilter's Dream Request wadding which is the thinnest quality and really enjoyed the handquilting though nowI wonder whether Perle Cotton would have been better. Today I washed the quilt to remove the marking and hung it on the line. If only more people in Portland would dispense with dryers and hang out their washing. They considered themselves so environmental but I feel this one step would outdo all their other efforts. It was wonderful drying weather all the time I was there in early autumn and whirligig washing lines take up very little space and clothes dried outside are so much nicer and fresher.
Back of Portland Quilt - does this count as a "Modern Day Quilt"?

Portland Quilt  54.5x70"

2 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

It's a nifty quilt, Mary. And I could figure out by viewing it how it was constructed! Way to go!

Julie Fukuda said...

That is a sweet quilt. Now I know how it got that name. I always hang my quilts to dry but in Japan we hand them over a pole instead of a line. (No dryer anyway)