Thursday 18 August 2011

Ready to quilt

My reference book!



































I have been home alone briefly and took the opportunity to set up my tables in the living room, one folded up on top of the other to lend some height to the proceedings. I was sandwiching my stack and slash workshop quilt from an Oast workshop earlier in the summer. I think of this as my Japan quilt as I've taken the unlikely notion into my head that it has a Japanese feel to it. The top can be seen here on my post for 20th June called Portland quilt after the place where the fabrics were bought and I'll keep this name.
http://quayquilter.blogspot.com/2011/06/top-done.html

However the quilting will impart a Japanese feel. I like to draft sashiko designs on a larger scale. I drafted the Toridasuki pattern on a 3.5" grid and cut out card templates which I used to mark the design on the top using felt tip pens. I couldn't maintain the regularity of the original but that's fine.
I had to augment the backing with leftover fabric and think it will be all the better for it.
Cardboard templates for quilting

Quilt markings in grey felt tip.

My printed source


For wadding I opted for Cream Rose as I wanted something thin for summer use. It clung to the backing and it was hard to keep the backing fabric unwrinkled so I turned the two over and ironed the backing fabric onto the wadding.  Once done this unit became very straight and stable - the clinginess working to advantage then I turned it back over and placed the marked top down over it. As I plan to hand quilt I tacked not pinned.

No comments: