Tuesday 28 December 2010

Sewing room decorations


Hand quilted and painted sheep

Gail Lawther: Sheep hanging

I didn't want my sewing room to be cluttered and wanted a rather bare look to set off the quilts I am making but I have pinned this little hanging by Gail Lawther to the side of the wardrobe and the sheep faces make me smile as I approach the open door of my room or my "bunker" as my husband calls it. Gail made various quilts, most more "arty" than this one,  inspired by her trip to New Zealand and wrote a book about them.  http://www.gaillawther.co.uk/For a fee she will make any of them to order and I couldn't resist this one.



Hans Heysen "Sewing"

Hans Heysen's house and studio is near Adelaide, Australia and this portrait is of his wife sewing children's clothes at her sewing nachine. I have stood in this room and looked at the sewing machine and through the window and reflected on the passing of the woman who sat there. The original painting hangs in the house and has a magical glow to it. My husband had this print framed for me for my Christmas present and it represents a very happy trip and day for both of us.
http://www.hansheysen.com.au/index.asp


No comments: