Wednesday 14 April 2010

Liberty Hall

I went to the BQSG day at the V&A - an interesting talk, lunch and then round the show starting at the end this time and listening to the recorded commentary. I was much more thorough this time. Having investigated lots of details I will stand back and consider general aesthetics on my next trip.  I decided I had time to go to Libertys as quilts were on display there and check out their fabrics especially as I need one with a 24" repeat for my Sisters class. There were several large scale designs but the repeats were only 12-15" though one was a possibility - photograph here. I'll look again at Malvern.

The quilts on show were very expensive - £1400 - £1900. I thought one at least was probably of Chinese manufacture and the suspended ones were held by huge tacks with heads an inch across making for a largish hole or tear I would guess.

If there were such a thing as a medieval department store Libertys would be it but in fact its it's late C19th Arts and Crafts and just wonderful. I came away with a reel of cotton.

No comments: