Thursday 31 December 2009

Goodbye 2009

As I keep this blog really for my own benefit and a record of my quilting activities including the groups I belong to and workshops attended I try to get an overview at the Year's end by going back over the year's entries and try to get an overall view and remember the backdrop against which items were made. I like to think I have made a lot of things just for the sheer pleasure of making and that I have also made one or two quilts I shall keep by me always. I think my Autumn quilt still not quite finished will be one of those. I've also made quilts as gifts this year and friend and neighbour Josy and cousin in law Bronwen in NZ really appreciate theirs. As I write four quilts are on their way by sea to young relatives in Australia. I was putting the binding on these as I sat by my dying mother in hospital and her death and the clearing out of her things has been the dominant event this year great sadness and loss tinged with relief she did not suffer too much at the end of a long and active life. Two quilts which belonged to her are with me now and one to complete. I have been reflecting on the many aspects of her that I admire and now seek to emulate. The things she had kept were precious to her but she had left her possessions and her affairs in wonderful order for us to sort out. I shall try to do this too and am looking at my mass of possessions with a fresh eye. I shall try to use that special fabric, not to acquire too much more and to prune my belongings.
I am on babysitting duty over New Year so not much time for reflection in the coming hours but before they arrive I shall be continuing to quilt a Twisted Sisters charity quilt on the machine and putting out my handquilted Patchwork Party block to show the others the first Friday in the New Year.
Here is hoping 2010 will be better than 2009 for all of us.

No comments: